Friday, April 22, 2011

Songs of The Day

Eyes To The Sky:  I find the melody on this one really interesting - it has a nice contrast against the chords.  I would cut out the fake flute that comes in before the chorus, it doesn't really add much.  The build-up in the chorus is really great, and I seriously dig those harmonies.  So you have a thing for harmonies, Phonte?  I can most definitely get down with that.  This is a short tune, but it'll have you goin the whole time.

All Roads: I love how seamlessly the previous track transitioned into this.  I didn't even realize it was a different track until almost 30 seconds in. This track confuses me in that it's very simple, but very complex at the same time, but I can't really describe how (take a listen for yourself).  Dig the play with meter.  Great harmonies, yet again.  I could do without the female voices at the end, I much prefer Phonte's.  Again, great build up, and I like that it just falls at the end into a cool lil guitar interlude.  Dig.

Fight For Love:  This song is good, but so far it's my least favorite.  I really like the meter play going on, and structurally it goes some pretty interesting places, but some of the instrumentation isn't my favorite.  I think a different piano sound would have suited the song a little better - it sticks out too much.  I'm finding that I'm writing the same thing about all three of todays songs - "I love the harmonies" and "I dig the build-up."  Aight, so they've got a staple or two - everyone has em.  It's not my favorite now, but I could see myself warming up to this track.

No comments:

Post a Comment