Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Songs of The Day

Penitentiary Philosophy:  Now this is how you start off an album.  The rock groove to this is fuckin killin, and I definitely get down with it.  Great hook, really catchy and the harmonies are really great.  You can really hear Erykah gettin down on this one, and understandably so.  ?uestlove, ?uestlove, ?uestlove... why/how are you so fucking good?!  Straight up murdering the pocket on this, especially in the end!  You always knows how to hold it down!  The breakdown in the middle is cool, a nice relaxed, ethereal sound to contrast the heavy groove - I dig it, it's needed.  Dig how it just kind of jams out at the end.  So, so solid.


Didn't Cha Know:  Being one of the singles off of this album, I am rather familiar with this tune.  My brother, Taylor, definitely introduced me to this song a whiiiile back.  The bass line to this is so simple, yet oh so funky, but what else would you except from the exceptional Pino Palladino?  I also really dig the percussion going on in the back, it adds an interesting feel to the groove.  Love how laid back this tune is.  I just saw my friend, Joanna perform this with her band this past weekend, and it's been stuck in my head ever since - the line "time to save the world/where in the world is all the time" in particular.  I think the harmony line she uses in the hook is really interesting - not your standard, and I dig it.  Great track.

My Life:  The groove on this is nice and steady.  I like the chopped elements to it, like the nice lil "On & On" shout out with the one chord that pops in every once and a while - very cool.  It also enforces the hip hop element, which is kind of contrasted by the piano and strings in the beat.  Very cool.  James Poyser did a good job producing this one.  My least favorite of the day, but that's not really saying much.

No comments:

Post a Comment