Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Songs of The Day

Lonely Town, Lonely Street:  This is a solid way to start off an album.  It's got a simple, catchy groove, but you can tell that Bill isn't letting everything out on the table just yet - you feel the need to listen to the rest of the album.  Good call on the strings, they add to the anger of the tune, which you wouldn't typically expect from strings.  I love Bill's voice, and I always have.  He is one artist where you can feel his emotions seeping from every pore.  He really makes you feel what he's saying, which is not something you can say about many people.  I do wish that the groove as a whole switched up at least once, but since the band does slight variations every verse, it allows for enough change up.  I dig it.


Let Me In Your Life:  This is an example of a ballad done right.  Actually teared up a little bit.  First of all, it's lyrical content is very relatable - I'm sorry you've been hurt in your past, but I'm not them, so let me in your life to show you how I'm different.  Is Bill reading my mind or something?  Anyway, great writing.  The groove is also very sweet, and it's nice to hear that Bill knows how to use strings appropriately (most cases, they would probably sound pretty corny in this context).  Great ballad.

Use Me:  Ok, if you don't know this song, you've been living under a rock.  I can actually remember first getting a glimpse at this track when they used it in a Pringles commercial in like 1999, or 2000 or some shit (yall remember that?) and I've been obsessed ever since (thanks commercials!)  The drum beat on this is hands down one of my all time favorites.  It's all about the three open hi hat hits - too, too tasty.  Not only that, but the keys line (is that keys?  guitar?  I just can't tell) is so phat.  Everything is phat.  This song will never get old.  Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment