Sunday, June 5, 2011

Songs of The Day

RobertaFlack (ft. Dolly):  This is a really chill groove - it's got me locked in.  Whoever miss Dolly is is also helping with the attraction.  I love how mysterious she sounds - very intriguing.  Chords on this are pretty sweet.  I lovelovelove the behind the beat sixteenth percussion hits though - so much swag.  There's just a lot of swag in this beat and I dig it.  I do think that swag decreases just a tad when the groove switches up though.  It's cool, but I don't dig that heavy synth sound that comes in for about 20 seconds - it just weighs the groove down.  Aside from that, really solid track.

SexSlaveShip:  This has a very light feel to it that I like, fairly simple.  I find the way that FlyLo chopped this song up pretty interesting.  Lots of choices that I wouldn't have expected.  Aside from that, there's not much I can really say about this track - it kind of just goes by.  Not one of the stronger songs on the album, but it holds its own.


Auntie's Harp:  Dig the samples on this track, they've got a a very "magical" feel to it.  Feel like a fairy godmother's supposed to pop out soon or something.  I actually wish this was longer than just an interlude, would have been interesting to see where the track could have gone.

Testament:  This groove has got a jazz element to it that I can really get down with.  That's probably much thanks to the upright bass used - very cool sound.  Ganja Sufi has an interesting voice... I can't understand a single word he's saying, but that actually adds a mysterious appeal to the song that I think works well with the groove.  Another intriguing tune; FlyLo has a unique taste in vocalists - dig.

Auntie's Lock/Infinitum (ft Laura Darlington):  This is a very soft, subtle FlyLo - an interesting way to end the album.  I like that "Infinitum" is the only word, just chopped and screwed.  It's all rather hypnotizing actually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment