Sunday, June 26, 2011

Songs of The Day

One Love:  This is another track I'd heard before, but not enough times to really pay attention.  I love the marimba sample on this beat - sickness.  And upright bass??  Oh, I can get down!  I like that the hook is just "one love" - it's nice and simple and doesn't clutter the tune.  Though it's mainly about incarceration, the lyrical content does seem to have an uplifting undertone, and I like that.  Favorite line: "Sometimes I sit back with a buddha sack/ Mind's in another world thinking how can we exist through the facts."

One Time 4 Your Mind:  Another cool beat.  I dig the simplicity of the drum beat especially.  Cool bass too.  Though there's not one particular line that sticks out to me, I dig the lyrical content of the tune, because I know what it's like to find an escape from the outside world through words.  Nas' flow is pretty ridiculous, definitely a great rapper.


Represent:  Are these bells that are being sampled?  I can't really tell, but I like what ever they are.  Dig that the beat slightly switches up for the hook, it keeps a nice consistency to the groove.  Pretty much the same lyrical content as the majority of the tunes, but Nas' flow is so tight that I can't really hate.  Favorite line:  "Could use a gun, son, but fuck bein the wanted man/ But if I hit rock bottom then I'ma be the son of Sam."

It Ain't Hard to Tell:  Do I hear a lil Michael Jackson "Human Nature" sample goin on here?  I do indeed - I like it!  I don't know how much I like it in the hook with all of the other samples though, they don't seem to fit right, and also sound a little cluttered.  I like the switch up in lyrical content here!  All about his rap and lyrical skills on this one, and as a final song, that topic seems very appropriate.  Favorite line:  "Cause in my physical, I can express through song/ Delete stress like Motrin, then extend strong."

No comments:

Post a Comment