Sunday, July 3, 2011

Final Grade: A

So, Donny Hathaway was perfect.  I honestly can't think of one thing I didn't like about his voice or his playing.  From start to finish, he held it down.  The tone of his voice is really beautiful - I'm sure he could sing a recipe and it sound like the funkiest thing to ever hit our eardrums.  He has such great control over everything, it never sounded like he was straining or yelling or anything.  I'm honestly surprised I didn't cry.  This album was re-released with a couple bonus songs, one of which is a cover of The Beatles' "Yesterday," which is pretty out of this world.  That's the most covered Beatles tune, and his version is by far the best I've heard.  I wish I could find it on YouTube or I would post it.  Really remarkable.  So unfortunate that we had to loose him so young.

No comments:

Post a Comment