Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Songs of The Day

Blessa:  So as I'm listening to these songs, I'm finding that Toro y Moi's production comes first, and his vocals come second.  And you know what?  I'm down with that.  He has a decent voice, it fits well with the style he's put himself in, but it's really about the grooves on this one.  This is pretty solid opener.  I dig the disconnect in the beginning between all the parts, and then they fall right into place into a pretty solid groove.  Definitely catchy.  Dig the pitch bending that goes on occasionally - very cool.  There's a really interesting "floating" feel this groove has to it, which I like - kind of takes you away.  I was a little thrown off by the groove switch towards the end, simply because it seemed kind of spastic, but then it evened out and I dug it, not to mention it made for a cool transition into the next song.  Solid.

Minors:  This groove is much heavier than the previous, but that's what I like about it.  The backbeat gives it a lot of weight, but the effects on the other sounds sound so light - I dig the juxtaposition.  His vocals are much more in the background than the previous, but that doesn't really make a difference to me.  I like the mellowness of the verses, they sound very sweet.  Dig the breakdown, it balances mellow and hype very well.  This is the type of song you just kick back and let your mind drift to.  Dig.

Imprint:  When the groove started on this one, I dug it, but I didn't think it was as good as the previous.  I liked the piano, but there was something off that wasn't doing anything for me.  That all changed with the beat dropped.  Solid, solid headbanger on this one.  Really dig the synth line on this one.  Love the use of vocal echoes in the groove.  It's got a hip hop feel that the previous don't have that I really like.  The piano sounds so much better to me when it comes back in the end - funny how that happens.  It's just all around solid.


Lissoms:  This is the first vocal-free tune on the track, and it's pretty good.  Although, I must say having his voice does add a nice lil something to the grooves (even if it's not doing much, it's still an element).  I like the backbeat and the cut time that goes on in the beginning.  It has more of a standard electronic feel to it, but that's kind of what holds me back on this one.  Has a Flying Lotus flare to it that I like.  Decent, but my least favorite of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment