Thursday, July 21, 2011

Songs of The Day

Fax Shadow:  I thought "Lissoms" had a heavy Flying Lotus feel... this one is just straight FlyLo.  I dig it, but FlyLo does this swag better.  The samples Toro y Moi has going on here are pretty cool, I especially dig the vocal samples, but at times it seems a little too chopped and screwed (it makes it a little difficult to focus on the subject of the song).  I like the vocal melody (as much of it as you can hear) - it's got a very sweet feel to it that I dig.  The mellow breakdown at the end is very cool - and needed - and the ending jazz keys really make for a nice final touch.

Thanks Vision:  This beat actually reminds me of something off of the Foreign Exchange album, Authenticity, that I reviewed a couple weeks back - I dig it.  It's got a catchy 80s pop feel that I dig.  I like that the beat has a floating feel to it, while still carrying weight with the back beat.  The slowed down part at the end kind of threw me off and got me a little confused, but it was a good kind of confusion.  Solid.

Freak Love:  There's a cool wave-like motion going on with the samples on this one, which I like, but at times seems a little too much.  It makes it hard to focus on some other elements of the beat.  I can't understand anything he's saying aside from the hook "I do believe in freak love" and that's fucking awesome.  Kudos.  I like the groove switch up in the middle - I felt like it was going to go into a completely different feel, just to return to the original groove, and I thought that was pretty cool.  Cool tune.


Talamak:  Now this is a super catchy groove.  It seems like it's the most "radio-friendly" of the tracks, but in the best way possible.  Dig the flute sample going on, makes me feel like I'm in spring.  This actually seems to be the song with the most prevalent vocals - it's a nice balance.  The chopped feel on this one is done very tastefully, and not overdone like "Fax Shadow."  Breakdown at the end is sweet.  Dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment