Sunday, August 14, 2011

Final Grade: B/B-

This is a pretty decent album.  Some solid soul revival going on here.  I'm a little confused as to my opinion of Aloe's voice.  It seems underdeveloped, which is understandable seeing that he was originally a rapper and not a singer (I think I may prefer him rapping).  "I Need a Dollar" was a great tune to open on, because Aloe's voice is right in pocket and gives you a great first impression of him.  Although, I don't think he always held up to that first song.  For example, I think "Take Me Back" is a really awesome song, but Aloe's voice doesn't sound supported or confident.  He's got a soulful grime to his voice, which is really nice, but depending on the range that he's singing it, that grime doesn't always come off as attractive.  I have a feeling that with work, his voice will strengthen and he will be a force to be record with, but right now, for me, it's not there yet.  Song wise, "Femme Fatale" was the only song I really didn't care for, and I thought that the last two tunes were kind of lackluster, but overall, pretty good album.  Looking forward to hearing how he develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment