Sunday, August 14, 2011

Songs Of The Day

You Make Me Smile:  This is a pretty solid soul groove.  Very sweet, uplifting feel to it, which should be expected given the title of the tune.  Aloe sounds pretty good on this, sounds like he's comfortable with the range and topic of the song.  I like the horns paralleling the melody in the chorus - adds a nice emphasis.  The drum groove in the verses is pretty funky, much thanks to side stick for that one.  It sounds like it's about 30 seconds too long, but I'm not bored, so it's not much of an issue.

If I:  I'm not 100% sure of how I feel about this groove.  I like it for the most part - the waltz feel is cool, and it's got this dark feel to it that's intriguing.  I also really like the pizzicato strings - they add a nice texture.  I can't really get down with the drum sound though.  It doesn't really blend with the style of the rest of the tune.  The drum groove's also kind of lame. Then again, these obviously aren't real drums, so that could have something to do with it.  They stick out for me, which doesn't really allow me to get into the rest of the tune.  I like the B section, dig the echo effect on his voice, adds a cool feeling.  Some weird echoey organ sound comes in at the end - it's faint, but still unnecessary.  Cool a cappella ending, but I don't think it should have resolved to major.

Politician (Reprise):  So, I'm a little confused as to how this is a reprise seeing that there wasn't a first "Politician" on the album.  Anyway, kind of a weak way to end this.  It's all instrumental, which is totally cool, but this is kind of corny.  The horns have a fake sound to them (wouldn't be surprised if they are fake) and the rock guitar thing goin on just didn't work with the song or the context of the album.  Odd way to close.

No comments:

Post a Comment