Thursday, September 15, 2011

Songs of The Day

I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free:  What a sweet introduction to this album.  Lydia does a great job with the a cappella opening.  This is an old spiritual, and she definitely holds her own.  I dig her rock tone.  I do wish she'd tone down on the vibrato some, but it's part of her style.  This is actually the second time I'm reviewing this tune, the first being week two on John Legend & The Roots Wake Up!  I'm going to have to listen to that one again and see which I like better.  The band sounds great when they get in, but I think they could have been a little more present.  That absence is made up later with their great build.  Organ solo is sweet.  I love the return to a cappella for the ending, she really gives it her all.  Solid.


If You Will:  Man, oh man is this song sexy.  I'm slightly addicted.  Just a standard blues, but it's played with so much grit and grime, and Lydia's voice is perfect for it.  And those horns!  They are a great addition.  So much sex in this song.  So, so much.  This is definitely going to be on repeat.  Great build.  So foxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment