Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Songs of The Day

Fight Test:  This is a solid pop song to start the album with.  I like the upbeat, happy feel it's got to it.  Starting happy is never a bad thing.  Steven Drozd is holding it down on the drum beat though - very solid.  It's got a funkiness to them that counteracts the pop.  The ethereal, open feel they've got going on is pretty - I like how light it is.  The layering and slight echo of the vocals in the chorus add only enhance the open feel of the tune.  I think the strangeness of the beginning and end help make this feel over-the-top pop.  Sweet opening.


One More Robot / Sympathy 3000-21:  The intro and outro remind me of an old horror film.  I find it very cool.  I like that this is a much more mellow groove than the previous - it's a nice switch up.  I like all of the different sounds going on.  The layering has a very "outer space" feel to them.  The bass line is pretty funky, thank you, Michael Ivins.  Really holds it down.  The pick up/switch to major in the chorus is very cool.  I wasn't expecting the song to go that route, but the surprise made me happy.  It's a really well made B section.  I wish the vocals were a liiiiittle bit clearer, but I feel like their distance is also a significant part of the feel of the tune.  Though they aren't real, the strings at the end of the tune are tasteful.  It does remind me a tiny bit of the soundtrack to Final Fantasy V though.  Regardless, this is a very cool tune.

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1:  I am not surprised that the title track has very silly lyrics, infact I would have expected nothing less.  This song reminds me a lot of the first, which I'm not sure is the best thing so early in the game.  I think going a little less poppy would have worked better here.  It's almost a little too happy.  The synth sounds they use to counteract that happiness are pretty cool though.  It's a cute song, but my least favorite of the day so far. 

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Rotos, Pt. 1:

No comments:

Post a Comment