Monday, September 26, 2011

Songs of The Day

All We Have is Now:  This is a pretty sweet tune.  Very subdued, very low key - I like it.  The last couple tunes have sounded a little cluttered, so it's nice to have something more stripped down.  I dig the keys paralleling the melody - since the melody is so simple, the addition of the keys gives it a little more pop.  The slight speed up in the B section is very cool, probably because it's so subtle.  Dig it.  This is a good song to just relax to.  I can get down with it.

Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon (Utopia Planitia):  My goodness, this song has quite the name!  I guess that's appropriate for a final tune, or any tune for that matter.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about this song, it will probably take a couple listens before I get into it.  It's definitely got a cool groove - very spacey and out there, which I like - but like some previous tunes, it starts to get too cluttered and overwhelming and I begin to lose the elements of the song that I like.  The pitch bend in the drums is cool.  I also like the juxtaposition between the rock guitar and the harp - very cool.  I'm not really sure how I feel about the horn part - I think that may be where I feel like it starts to get too cluttered.  I definitely hear how this is a cool groove, but I think it needs some editing, especially being the final tune of the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment