Monday, October 10, 2011

Songs of The Day

Call Me Up:  This is a pretty funky tune.  Makes me wanna boogie.  I think the hook on this one is pretty cool - I dig how minimal it is.  Groove's nice and upbeat, which I dig.  Pretty much, this is a solid dance beat, which is why I'm sure it stays instrumental for so long at the end.  This long instrumental ending probably works perfectly on the dancefloor, but it doesn't translate the best just listening to the song - it gets a little monotonous after a while.  I think it would have been better to keep this one on the shorter side, but hey, I'm still groovin, so I guess I can't really hate. 

Waiting 4 U:  This song is ok.  I'm not the biggest fan of effect on the vocals, or how legato they are against the staccato beat - the juxtaposition doesn't work for me.  The groove on this one is a little too mid-80s synth pop and not enough early 80s r&b like some of the previous tunes.  The "rap" (more spoken than anything) sounds just like Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me," and I wouldn't call that a compliment.  Not my favorite.

100%:  Pretty lame way to end the album, if you ask me.  I can definitely get down with the guitar line, I think it's pretty sweet, but the groove itself is pretty boring.  Nothing about it is interesting me, which is disappointing because I was digging this album and I would have hoped for a better finale.  Sax sounds corny.  Eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment