Thursday, November 17, 2011

Songs of the Day

Only If for a Night:  This is a pretty cool opening tune - lots of power to it.  I really like the intro with the piano and harp playing at that odd meter - very cool.  The drop is pretty cool too - I like the heaviness it gives the beat, which is a cool contrast from the intro.  I dig the group vocals, but I wish they were more in the forefront - they get a little lost among everything else going on.  I also wish I could understand her a little better.  Dig the intensity of the tune, it makes you pay attention.  Great build.  May be a little long, but it's not that big of an issue.

Shake It Out:  This is a decent tune, but I don't like it as much as the first.  I like that the beginning is low, and that it builds, but it stays high and doesn't come back down.  I just want there to be a little more dramatic contrast.  I also find the "shake it up" hook kind of corny, they coulda come up with something cooler.  It's a decent tune, I just get a bored by the second chorus.

What the Water Gave Me:  Ah yes, dynamic contrast, I'm glad you're back.  This groove is pretty sweet.  The slide guitar gives it a cool, eerie feel that works really well with Florence's sound.  Her voice sounds very delicate, and fragile, which is a nice contrast against the heavier, darker feel of the groove.  Dig that it's in 8.  Group vocals are cool.  Rock guitar with harp is very cool.  Great build to the end, capped off with a cool outro.  Dig.

No comments:

Post a Comment