Thursday, December 15, 2011

Songs of the Day

Our Day Will Come:  Hello there, Amy.  This is very much reminiscent of Back to Black - it's got a nice reggae-like feel to the groove, with soft, but solid horn hits.  The background vocals, though simple, give the groove a nice little umph to it.  Amy sounds pretty good, not like her prime, but her voice is nonetheless captivating, and a pleasure to listen to.  Short, sweet, and to the point, this is a pretty decent opening number.

Between the Cheats:  I'm diggin the word play in the title.  You would usually think "between the sheets," but nope, he's between the sheets with somebody else!  Womp, womp.  Anyway, I feel like this song belongs in a scene in Dirty Dancing, or something to that effect.  Very 50/60s doo-wop (shout out to the piano player holdin down those eighth not triplets for the entire song - I know you're hands are tired, my friend).  To be honest, Amy's voice sounds a little worn on this one, which is unfortunate, but understandable considering her circumstances.  Solid, but nothing to write home about.

Tears Dry:  For fans of Back to Black, they will immediately recognize this tune.  This is a little more of a laid back version, which I like.  I don't know if I like it more than the original, but it is nice to hear a different take on it.  I don't think the background vocals are necessary, they don't add anything to the tune.  I'm also not the biggest fan of the sound on the guitar - it's too rigid against the rest of the groove.  Seeing that the original was recorded during a healthier part of Amy's life, the effects of excessive drugs and alcohol is much more prevalent in this version.  It's especially noticeable when she has to switch registers in the line "And in your way in this blue shade" - she couldn't get that line with the same gusto she had before.  Nice to hear a new version, but I'm gonna stick with the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment