Monday, December 19, 2011

Songs of the Day

Best Friends, Right?:  Not my favorite song here.  I don't know exactly what it is, but something about this tune - maybe the way she's singing it - sounds kinda corny.  For me, it's how she says "too" in that first line "you hate me too" - it's over annunciated, and comes off weird.  She also doesn't sound that hot on this track.  The "right" on "we are best friends, right" is pretty flat, and noticeable.  The groove is ok, but nothing to write home about.

Body and Soul (ft Tony Bennett):  Oh hey there, Mr. Bennett, what a nice surprise!  Well, not really a surprise because I knew they had been working together prior to her death.  It's sad to hear that this 85 year-old man's voice is in better condition than hers was at 27 - it's pretty evident.  It's not that she doesn't sing well, but she is nowhere near her best.  And this cover isn't all that...  but, hey, way to go Tony...

A Song For You:  Taking on the Donny classic...don't know how I feel about it.  Something that's so great about the original is the simplicity to it, and this groove is not abiding by that principle.  Definitely way too much going on here.  And what kind of feel is she trying to accomplish here?  I'm very confused.  The vocals are breathy, and don't sound like they're super supported.  I can barely understand what she's saying for parts of it.  "And I'm singing a song for you" is just not happening.  Oh, Amy... if only you'd stayed healthy.  So tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment