Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Songs of the Day

Sweet Little Girl:  Cool song to start the day off with.  I dig the saloon feel to this song, but I must say, I think I would like if there was less harmonica in it.  Not to say that I don't like Stevie on the harmonica, but I think it being in the entire song gives it a touch of corniness that I wish wasn't there.  I don't know why I feel that way, but it just bugs me a little bit.  Aside from that, I think the groove is pretty solid.  I especially dig the slow down section at the end - it's a nice subtle switch.  Stevie's sounding perfect as always.  Not my favorite Stevie groove (since there are so many greats to choose from), but it's solid nonetheless.

Happier Than the Morning Sun:  What a sweet, simple groove this is!  The title is super fitting to the groove - it makes me feel like sunshine...if that makes any sense.  I really like that it's just keys and bass with Stevie's layered vocals - it all makes for a nice intimate feel.  The vocal layers are very cool, and work great with the feel - it would be pretty empty without them.  The slow and steady bring down at the end is perfect.  What a lovely little tune - makes me happier than the morning sun :)

Girl Blue:  Man, I love slow tunes that are funky, and this is definitely one of them.  Stevie is definitely a fan of both the effect on the keys and on the vocals, as he's used them in multiple songs - I dig it, they make the funkiness of it all.  There are a lot of different instrumental layers going on throughout the song that give it a kind of weird/out-there flare, but I really dig that about it.  Short and to the point - I can dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment