Monday, January 16, 2012

Songs of the Day

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough:  Alright, now if you don't know this song, you must be living under a rock, as this is one of MJ's most popular singles.  Was just dancing to this the other night in the club - it's a classic.  I love this song, and the video is even better, all glittery and shit (70s to the fuckin max).  One thing I find pretty funny about this song is the fact that you can barely understand what he's saying unless you're really paying attention, but I think that's part of it's appeal.  This groove is so disco funky, you can't help but get down.  I think the strings are the best part of the groove, but I don't know if you can actually pinpoint a "best" part of this groove.  Now I just wanna dance.

Rock With You:  This actually might be my favorite MJ song.  I'm fairly certain it is.  I can recognize this song anywhere just off the opening drum fill, and I know the whole song like the back of my hand.  The groove on this one is absolutely insane - you can't help but move.  The harmonies on this one are so sweet and add such a great fullness to the vocals.  Love the horns.  Love the faint snaps.  Gotta love a good key change.  My god, MJ was talented.  This song is absolutely flawless.  If you don't like this song, you don't have a soul...or you just have really terrible taste in music, and therefore should not be reading this blog.

Workin' Day and Night:  This is a MJ song I'm not super familiar with.  Definitely heard it, but I don't know it front to back like I do with the first two tracks.  Love the dance groove on this - he did that so well.  Man, the horns on this are ridiculous!!!  Some crazy hits, especially towards the end - I love that they parallel the vocal melody.  I love how minimal the guitar line is on this - it's all about the keys and the horns.  The slight effect on his voice works really well with the groove.  Quincy Jones is a straight master.  Man, I need to go boogie now - this music's got me all riled up n shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment