Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Final Grade: A

Hiatus Kaiyote has gotten me the most excited about new music, probably since I discovered Little Dragon last fall.  I pretty much have been listening to Tawk Tomahawk exclusively since Saturday - I'm on my 3rd listen today, and it's only 4:30 - they seriously have something special to offer.  They have a similar vibe to Little Dragon, which is probably why I like them so much, but they most certainly have their own sound that is fresh and unique.  I love their blend of jazz, soul, latin, electronic, and everything in between - it's a serious melting pot that sounds oh so soothing to the ears.  Love the tamber of Nai's voice - she really has her own gritty, yet soulful sound that I really dig.  The harmonies she comes up with are some of the freshest things I've heard in a minute.  From start to finish, I'm in love with this album, but "Malika" and "Ocelot" are really the gems at the center of it all.  "Malika" is honestly one of the smartest songs I've heard in awhile (quoting an opera?? How often do you hear that?? Never), and I can't get enough of it.  It's safe to say that I've listened to it at least 5 times today alone, probably more like 10 (as it starts to play...).  And "Ocelot" - my goodness that beat is funky!  It almost makes me mad that it's so short, because I need more, but that's essentially how I feel about the album.  Literally the only problem I have with this album is that it's too short, because I'm over here yearning for more.  Hiatus Kaiyote gives me faith in new music.  This is my new obsession, and everyone should make it theirs before Hiatus explodes and I have to say "I told ya so."

No comments:

Post a Comment