Saturday, August 11, 2012

Songs of the Day

I'm covering the first 5 songs today: "I Got The..." "(For God's Sake) Give More Power to the People," "While You're Out Looking for Sugar," "Sideway Shuffle," and "I Don't Want to Be With Nobody But You."  I must say, with the exception of "I Got The..." I'm a little disappointed with this batch of songs.  "I Got The..." is a great, funky starter.  I love the starting funk groove with the strings, and then midway it transitions into the beat from Eminem's "My Name Is," and I must say, it's pretty damn funky.  Everything after this just seems to be on the cornier side of soul.  Joss has so much more grit than I feel like she's showing here.  For Example, a line like "While you're out looking for sugar, somebody's gonna take your honey and be gone" sounds like it should be sexy and sultry, but the music and melody just make it sound kind of cheesy.  Really just OK points for these songs, but I do really like the opener.

No comments:

Post a Comment