Sunday, February 17, 2013

Final Grade: B-

Alright, so I can definitely appreciate Mumford & Sons for what they do, but I don't really think it's my cup of tea.  Or at least this album wasn't.  They're really good at what they do, and they have a great vibe, but this album all sounded the same.  The first five tracks could have a essentially been the same song - it got to be predictable, and therefore boring.  I was really curious as to why they chose to compile the album this way, I feel like it would have been much more effective if the tracks were switched around providing some more variation between songs.  There are definitely some solid tracks on the album, "I Will Wait" has been stuck in my head all week, and I really like "Broken Crown," but I was really hoping for an "aha!" moment as to why they won Album of the Year this year.  I thought Frank Ocean's Channel Orange was a much better album overall.  I definitely dig the group dynamic though, and their group vocals are on point.  They are probably a great band to see live at a festival, because it sounds like they're having a great time playing their songs, and I know they have a huge following.  I'll have to listen to this album on shuffle to give it another chance, but it wasn't really my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment