Friday, February 8, 2013

Songs of the Day

I've got final two songs of the day to finish off this lovely EP, "Sides," and "Every Part."  "Sides" is probably my least favorite song on the album, but that's not really saying much because it's still a good track.  It's simple (like the rest of the album), and I really like the guitar lick with vocals and kick drum in the verses, but there's not a single thing that really captures me like the rest of the tracks.  Emily sounds sweet, as always, but I think this one could have used a little extra punch.  The build up at the end brings it together, which I like, but I wish the rest of the tune had been closer to this level.  The hopefulness of the lyrics is very sweet as well, she's definitely got a gift. 
Man, "Every Part" almost had me going.  This is one of those tunes where you wouldn't even have to listen to the lyrics and you'd want to cry...but then you listen to the lyrics and you really want to cry.  It's only 2:30 in the afternoon, I ain't got time for that shit! (But I secretly do.) I really love that it starts with the sound of rain, and ends with birds chirping (presuming sun) - I find that touch very sweet.  You can hear the emotion in Emily's voice on this one, which makes it all the better.  Love the very subtle, gradual build of instruments throughout the track.  All the subtleties on this album are really awesome.  Great way to take out a really great EP.

No comments:

Post a Comment