Monday, March 18, 2013

Songs of the Day

Finally getting to the final 3 songs on the album: "I Just Can't Give You Up," "There's Always Someone Waiting," and "Pick Up the Pieces (Live at Montreux Version)."  I'm happy to be pickin up the pace again with "I Just Can't Give You Up" - this song gets you groovin.  The bass and drums really go in on this one, and I'm all about that.  The horns are doin great shit, as expected, keeping the lines nice n tight.  I especially love the harmonies on the chorus, I feel like they bring everything together.  All around solid track.  The groove on "There's Always Someone Waiting" provides a nice bit of sexiness, and who doesn't love some sexy?  Wawa on the guitar is the main ingredient for sexy.  The chord progression isn't as sexy as I would like it though, particularly in the chorus, but it doesn't bother me too much.  I dig that everything seems to be straight ahead, apart from the guitar - it's a nice contrast.  Solid vocals.  Not my favorite track on the album, but still good.  This Live at Montreux Version of "Pick Up the Pieces" is some funky, funky shit!  Just like the original, but they do a bunch of reharmonizations of the horn lines that give it a whole new taste of funk!  Modulations n what not.  The keys are also shown off more in this version than the single version.  Good shit.  Definitely check it out if you're a fan of the original!

No comments:

Post a Comment