Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Songs of the Day

Gettin this record off to a proper start with the first four tracks: "Pusher Love Girl," "Suit & Tie," "Don't Hold the Wall," and "Strawberry Bubblegum."  I was actually going to stop at three, but I couldn't help myself.  "Pusher Love Girl" is a fucking awesome way to start an album off, I can say that for sure.  A string intro to open the whole album up is so awesome on JT's part.  And to drop right into a fat groove makes it even better.  Dig the super low bass sound on this one, it holds down a serious low end.  The groove is super tight, I like that everything is on the beat - definitely holds it down.  I am so fucking happy that JT uses real horns on this album, because I have been complaining about the lack of horns in today's music.  They aren't super up front on this track, but they're still bringing it.  The hook is beyond catchy, no surprise there.  I love how hard the B section brings it, bringin out the dirty south in JT.  Dig all the chop n screw going on, especially "n now I'm just a jjjjunkie for your love."  Great way to start off the album, for damn sure.  So, I must admit that I was no a fan of "Suit & Tie" when I first heard it, but boy, does this song grow on you.  I think I was a little thrown off by the opening beat, and the "I be on my suit and tie shit" lyric sounded kind of stupid to me.  I may have had a different initial reaction if the song started with the main groove, cuz it's funky as fuck.  Really great groove to dance to.  The horns are up front on this one, and they definitely bring it.  This whole groove is so funky, while mixing hip hop, and old school...really dope.  I dig that the beat breaks down for Jay-Z's pretty dope verse, to then really break it down for the chorus.  Man, this last chorus is dope, mad props Timbaland.  Love that it brings it back to the groove with the horn hits.  Funky, funky stuff.  I love the a cappella intro to "Don't Hold the Wall," but then I get a little thrown off by the crazy Middle Eastern sounding beat that it goes into.  The beat is definitely dope, you just gotta get over the surprise.  This is such a staple Timbaland sounding beat - he loves to add little sounds in his beats, and he's got crickets going on in this one, which is pretty dope..  The drop out in the beginning of the second verse is pretty dope.  I don't like the B section of this song as much as the A.  It goes into a club beat that is pretty good, I just think its too predictable of a club beat, especially with the way JT's vocals are placed above it.  I'd still get down to it though, because the bass is going super hard.  Not my favorite of the day, but still dope.  "Strawberry Bubblegum" has another super dope opening - it sounds really old school, while still being new.  I wish the beat had stayed more in that area though, because I this beat isn't my favorite.  I like how the spaciness is being juxtaposed by a steady drum beat, but it doesn't really grab me as a groove.  I'm also not the biggest fan of JT's voice on this one, I think it might be a little too high (which is saying something for him).  The vocals on the chorus are dope though, the harmonies are tight.  Now the B section of this song...that's a whole other story.  I fucking love it.  I listen to it on it's own all the time.  The groove has this bossa thing going on in it that I really dig, and the keys are dope.   Not to mention the key bass is so funky.  JT, I would be your strawberry bubblegum any day of the fucking week.  Loooove the harmonies on this hook, especially since they remind me so much of the good ol' N'sync days (man how I miss those).  Man, this shit is funky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment