Monday, June 10, 2013

Final Grade: C+/B-

Well, this took me forever, but I had to get back to it.  I thought this album was ok.  Random Access Memories definitely had a couple bangers, namely the Pharrell tunes "Lose Yourself to Dance," and "Get Lucky," but I think that this album could have been much better.  I was very attracted by Daft Punk using real instruments on this album, but I don't think they did anything revolutionary with it.  There were a lot of odes to disco and sounds of the early 80s, but they could have gone with better grooves from those eras, as well as enhance them in ways to make them cooler.  I really didn't like "Touch," it was probably my least favorite song on the album.  I know that Daft Punk is super talented, and I was hoping that would translate with real instruments, but not as much.  I love "Get Lucky" and was hoping the rest of the album would be on par, but that was definitely the highlight of the album.  There are definitely a couple tracks I'll keep on rotation, but not the album as a whole.  Maybe they should just stick to electronics...

No comments:

Post a Comment