Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Songs of the Day

So I've got the first three tracks up for review today: "Gimme What I Don't Know (I Want)," "True Blood," and "Cabaret."  Gotta say, definitely not the kind of punch part 1 came out with. 
"Gimme What I Don't Know (I Want)" is a fairly decent tune.  The groove is really cool, I definitely can get down with this melting pot of styles Timbaland's got going on here.  I think the problem here (that I have unfortunately noticed throughout the album) is that the groove is a shit-ton better than the lyrical content going on.  The whole animal/jungle motif going on here is kind of corny, enough to be distracting.  That being said, this is one of the better grooves on the album, so I can get behind that.  I'll get down to it. 
Now, I could get down with some of the longer tracks on part 1, but I cannot get behind "True Blood" clocking it at NINE MINUTES AND THIRTY-ONE SECONDS, because this song is whack.  The beat is ok, I'll dance to it at the club, but the lyrics are ass.  First of all, it's got a werewolf/vampire theme going on... I thought we were over that fad?  JT, baby, you're a little late.  And the opening line of the chorus, my god, "she's got that true blood, every time you're around I can smell it on you."  I swear, if I didn't know any better, I would swear homie was talking about his girls period.  The melody's dumb too.  So is the "ha ha ha" part (not necessary).  Did I mention that this song is almost 10 minutes long?  Of a sub par beat with mediocre lyrics.  It sounds like he was trying to go in a kind of "Thriller" direction (which it is nowhere even close to being)...baby, you're not MJ, sit down.  And why is this song second??  You know what was track two on part 1?  "Suit & Tie."  Now that is a song deserving of the number 2 spot.  Can't even be redeemed with the breakdown after SEVEN minutes.  This is ass.  Ok, I'm gonna stop now, because the sheer stupidity of this song makes me mad. 
"Cabaret" redeems...a little bit.  The beat is fat, my favorite of the day, but (again) the lyrics really aren't anything.  I feel like he could have gotten away with the same message without calling it a "Cabaret."  I like everything else about the song, the melody is really dope and JT sounds good, I just can't really get past the lyrics.  I wish they would rewrite this one, kind of seems like a waste of a really good beat.  The Drake (who is not listed as featured in the title) verse isn't half bad, but they I think he could have gotten someone better.  I wish they didn't switch up the beat at the end, it sounds too mainstream hip hop (in the whack way, not the "Chop Me Up" from Futuresex/Lovesounds kind of way).
So, overall, today was just aight.

No comments:

Post a Comment