Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Final Grade: B

This was a pretty solid album from St Vincent.  The first half of the album was really fun and had a cool edge to it, but I felt as though that edge was lost towards the end of the album.  I just wouldn't have expected the album that started off with a track like "Rattlesnake" would end on a dud like "Severed Crossed Fingers."  There was a lot of potential for this album to be great, but I don't think it tried hard enough.  That's what it is! - the second half of the album sounds kind of lazy.  That being said, St Vincent definitely has her own sound, and a lady can respect that in a world where conformity seems to win.  "Prince Johnny" might be my favorite track, it was stuck in my head all week.  Some tracks will definitely be on continued rotation, but I'll forget about some of the others.  I feel as though this was a good first look into St Vincent, and I'll definitely keep my eyes and ears open for this fellows Berklee alum.

No comments:

Post a Comment