Saturday, September 13, 2014

Songs of the Day

Got the first four tracks on deck for today: "Preface," "Lights On," "Two Weeks," and "Hours."
"Preface" is a pretty dope way to start the record off.  The layered vocals have almost a gregorian chant feel to them, which is actually kind of eerie, and cool all the same.  There are so many textures and layers to the beat, it's a little hard to describe, but it builds nicely and definitely makes you pay attention.  Short, sweet, and to the point.  "Lights On" is the preview that I listened to on iTunes that made me try the record - it's super dope.  This track also has a very unique feel to it, I can't really compare this style to anything else.  It's electronic, but soulful, and definitely some hip hop elements.  Considering one of the genres listed for this album is "trip hop," it completely makes sense.  I love the hook "when I trust you we can do it with the lights on," especially how soft she's singing it, juxtaposed by how out all of the electronic elements are.  And that upright bass on the chorus though - awesome touch.  Arca produced this track, and I definitely want to check out more of their stuff after listening to this. Super dope all around. "Two Weeks" was the first single released off of this record, which makes sense - the structure of this song, while very electronic, seems to be the most "radio friendly" as it's not overly experimental.  That element of part of why I don't like this track as the previous, as I feel like I've kind of heard similar stylings before.  Funny little melodic reference to "All Out of Love" by Air Supply.  I'm also not crazy about her vocals on this one - they're a little thin.  The track is cool, I just wish it had a little more of the trip hop element that the previous one had.  "Hours" is pretty dope in some areas, but I think a lot of it tries a little too hard.  It's almost like there are too many elements for how bare it's trying to be, which might actually be the point.  I do love the hook "I could kiss you for hours," because I think we all know that feeling (or at least I would hope so).  Her voice is a little less produced on the verses on this track, which I like, and her airiness works well with the track.  I just feel as though the beat is exploring the whole time and never settles into its own thing, which I think the track could have benefited from.  But it's fairly cool otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment