Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Songs of the Day

Finishing out the album today with the final five tracks: "When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You (Instrumental)," "A Funky Space Reincarnation," "You Can Leave, But It's Going to Cost You," "Falling In Love Again," and "When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You."

The reprise of "When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You (Instrumental)" is the same groove as the first, and while it has "Instrumental" in the title, a single vocal line goes on throughout the track.  It's mainly "ooos," with the occasional chorus.  This song represents the theme of the entire album, which is why it comes up on the record three times.  Love that the sax goes in.  Still a solid groove, but seeing as it's the second time around, I think they could have made it shorter than 6 minutes. "A Funky Space Reincarnation," which happens to be the longest track on the record, is also the oddest.  It's definitely a cool groove, quite funky indeed, but the future/space talk seems out of place with the rest of the record.  On its own, it's dope, I just think it's pretty random.  If anything, it's maybe Marvin's idea of he and Anna meeting each other again, but reincarnated, and in space (2073 or 2084, to be specific).  This is another track that could be cut back a few minutes, I was good at about the 6 minute mark.  Especially once it starts getting into the outdated synth outro, those sounds are not my steeze (can't completely blame them, it was all so new).  I'm confused, but I can get down with it. "You Can Leave, But It's Going to Cost You," is one of my favorite tracks on the record.  This groove seems to hit the right balance between the style of the time, while incorporating the new synth stuff without sounding annoying.  I also enjoy this chorus the most of any on the record, "she said 'you can leave, but it's going to cost you -" it makes you think his ex-wife really did say that to him (even if she didn't it did cost him, and in the form of this record) - and the groove is killin too.  The layering of vocals has a nice effect to it that works well with the groove.  And you gotta love some good chorus clave.  Really solid groove, me gusta mucho.   The record's ending on a pretty solid note thanks to the previous track and "Falling In Love Again." This is another dope track, and I'm glad it stayed upbeat.  The synth balance isn't as great as "You Can Leave," but everything else about it is pretty solid.  Love me some good background vocals, which this certainly has, and I love that the sax line goes with them as well.  This track might be the biggest piece of shade thrown by Mr. Gaye, as he closes the record by saying that he is "falling in love again," aka "here you go, and I don't need you anyway."  At least he's happy, which is probably why this groove is so up, and funky.  This track gets you moving the most of any, and I definitely can get down with that.  I dig, I dig.  And we close the record with a third and final reprise of "When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You," but at only 44 seconds.  Really, it's just the chorus.  A good final statement to the record.

No comments:

Post a Comment