Monday, February 10, 2014

Songs of the Day

Got the first four tracks on deck for review this lovely evening: "Good Ass Intro," "Pusha Man," "Cocoa Butter Kisses," and "Juice."  I must say, "Good Ass Intro" is aptly named!  Definitely a dope way to start the album.  I love the combination of the church choir feel that continues to pile style on top of style - layers are cool.  And when the drums drop and horns come in - me gusta mucho!  Chance's flow/sound is something that comes off as harsh (somewhat of a Lil Wayne tamber), but it takes about point five seconds to get over - he uses the melody of his flow to smooth it out.  There are about a million people featured on this track, and I wish they were easier to decipher from one another, 'cause it would be cool to give credit exactly where credit is due.  But to BJ The Chicago Kid, Lili K., Kiara Lanier, Peter Cottontale, Will for the O'mys, & JP Floydd for Kids These Days, yall helped create a funky opener.  
Thankfully, "Good Ass Intro" wasn't just a fluke, "Pusha Man" falls right into the goodness.  The beat for this track is dope, different from other hip hop tracks.  And even though he's saying shit like "she has blisters on her knees," you know, because she wants the d, he somehow manages to produce it in a way that still keeps you interested in the song.  Nice lil fake-out end to come back with a new track, of which has an equally cool, if not cooler beat.  I like how spacey and out there is sounds (definitely would go well with a certain substance teehee).  "Somebody will steal daddy's role-y, and call it neighborhood watch" - so dope.  Chance's unique flow really makes you get into his tracks - I dig it. 
"Cocoa Butter Kisses" picks up on the church grind that "Intro" started with - a good feel to get back on.  Again, it's contrasted with some heavier drums, which I find to be a cool juxtaposition.  I would just like to say that I am down with any rapper that's gonna reference the Rugrats, that's just too cool.  I love the imagery of "I miss my cocoa butter kisses" - it evokes the very image.  And Twistaaaaaa!  Where have you been, my dude??  So dope to hear this (fast) rapper back on something, and of course he does not disappoint. 
I was excited to get another listen to "Juice," it definitely had me from the start.  The simplicity of this beat really intrigues me, definitely on some "less is more" shit.  OMFG I'm just realizing the sample is "Jealous Guy" by Donny Hathaway off of Donny Hathaway Live, which I not only reviewed, but it's my favorite track on the album!  Ugh, my love for this song just increased for much!  The whole thing has this swinging/swaying kind of feel going on that makes it super easy to listen to and just get lost in.  Completely understandable as to why this was the single.  Too many lines to isolate.  I dig this so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment